Owners and tenants have shared responsibilities.

Maintenance Inside

Keep the premises in a reasonable state of repair during the tenancy and comply with building, health and safety laws. The owner is responsible for the upkeep of the property, for example plumbing and the maintenance of contents already provided such as the refrigerator, stove, washing machine or air conditioner.

Maintenance Outside

You are responsible for major tree lopping, cutting back overhanging branches and maintaining fire breaks. The tenant should advise you if they notice a water leak (if they don’t and the leak is obvious to them, they may be liable for the costs of water lost). Once you’ve been told the water is leaking, you are responsible for the cost.

Urgent Repairs

The tenant must inform you if an urgent repair is needed as soon as possible.

Urgent repairs are those that are necessary to supply or restore an essential service,

including the following services: gas, electricity, sewerage/septics/other waste water treatment and water (including the supply of hot water).

Water Usage Costs

You must pay the annual service charges (water rates) for the supply of water to the rental premises.

The tenant generally pays for water used each day, unless your agreement provides for sharing the costs to encourage watering of lawns and gardens.

Water, Gas and Electricity Bills

Only the consumption cost can be charged to a tenant, not any other charges, such as supply or account fees.


You are responsible for paying local council rates.


You are responsible for painting, unless the damage is caused by the tenant’s negligence.

Pest and Vermin Control

As a general rule, any outbreak or infestation requiring attention by a pest control operator is your responsibility and not the tenant’s. You are also responsible for any annual maintenance inspection. The tenant is required to take regular basic pest prevention measures.


You are responsible for taking out insurance for loss or damage to buildings and fixtures and fittings, such as the stove and hot water system. You may also consider rental income protection insurance to cover situations where a tenant vacates a property and unpaid rent and damage cannot be recovered.

Rent Increases

For most tenancies, you should use the required form Notice to tenant of rent increase to give the tenant at least 60 days’ notice about a rent increase. The notice includes details of the amount of the increase and the day it will take effect.


+27 (011) 805 6316



Hertford Office Park  | Building F | Third Floor | 90 Bekker Street | Midrand | 1685